Coconut Oil (Butter) - Cold Pressed Raw Organic 450g
Coconut Oil is known for its healthy saturated fats, which are even better for you in its raw form. Our oil is particularly smooth and light with a very mild flavour and aroma - truly special!
What is it?
We tend to refer to our coconut oil as "coconut butter" because its texture is creamier and more buttery than other coconut oils. Why? Because we use wet method centrifuge extraction, cold-pressing the oil from fresh coconuts within one hour of breaking the seal on the coconut shell. It is raw, light tasting and smooth - unlike any coconut oil you've ever experienced. Our current batch of 500ml Coconut Oil is sourced from Thailand and is processed in exactly the same way as shown in the photos on our gallery of the Mexican operation. Our bulk 10L and 19L buckets contain Coconut Oil from Mexico.
Its health benefits include hair care, skin care, stress relief, maintaining cholesterol levels, weight loss, increased immunity, proper digestion and metabolism, relief from kidney problems, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, HIV and cancer, dental care, and bone strength. Click on Health Benefits to the left to find out more.
How to use
The most beneficial way for us to consume Coconut Oil is as a replacement to processed oils and fats. 3-5 tablespoons a day is a therapeutic dosage.
Use Coconut Oil as a replacement to margarine and butter on sandwiches, add it to smoothies for a dose of healthy fats, or spread it on crackers and eat as is.
Coconut Oil is considered to be a stable oil. With a smoking temperature of 177 degrees Celsius, Coconut Oil can also be used for medium heat frying and baking. Our Coconut Oil has a light and refreshing taste that will not over power your dishes, making it suitable for a wide variety of applications. Try it on homemade popcorn!
It can be used to moisturise the skin – simply apply some to your body after a shower for a soft creamy feeling. It is also used as a natural make-up remover.
Coconut Oil is a great hair conditioner – apply generously before going to bed and wash it off in the morning for healthy and luxurious tresses.
Coconut Oil is known for its Lauric acid content, and for its quality, healthy saturated fats. Cholesterol does not naturally occur in the plant kingdom. Unlike saturated animal fats, Coconut Oil is cholesterol free, making it safe for people with cholesterol challenges. Lauric acid promotes immune function through its transformation into monolaurin once ingested.
Our body's cells are comprised primarily of saturated fats. Regular consumption of Coconut Oil promotes cellular health reducing oxidative damage from free radical exposure. Internal cellular protection translates externally to healthier, more hydrated, younger looking skin.
Medium Chain triglycerides (MCT's) are abundantly found in Coconut Oil. Unlike other forms of fat, the liver is able to metabolise MCT's similarly to how it utilises carbohydrates as a fuel source. Coconut Oil's digestibility means that it is quickly absorbed by our bodies, and not left to circulate the blood stream like other fats. The MCT's in coconut oil have also been shown to have thyroid supporting mechanisms. Studies that were conducted on the basal (resting) metabolic rate of people who ate MCT's comparative to those participants who consumed more LCT's (long chain triglycerides i.e. vegetable oils) were found on average to have a 12% increase in their basal metabolic rates.
An incereasing amount of studies are being done on coconut oil; building a picture of a remarkable health-giving food. Some of the properties attributed to coconut oil include:
- Anti-viral: coconut oil has been shown to be antagonistic to a wide range of viruses including those that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitus C, SARS and AIDS.
- Anti-microbial: attacks bacteria that causes ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease, cavities, pneumonia and some STDs.
- Anti-fungal: antagonistic to fungi and yeasts that cause candidasis, ringworm, athelete's foot, thrush and nappy rash.
- Anti-parasitic: attacks such parasites as tapeworm, Giardia and others.
- Nutritional: provides a source of quick energy, boosts energy, endurance and athletic performance. Improves digestion and absorbtion of other nutrients including calcium, magnesium, other minerals, vitamins and amino acids. Improves insulin secretion and blood glucose utilisation. Acts as a protective anti-oxidant. Improves utilisation of essential fatty acids. Reduces the body's need for vitamin E.
- Supports bodily organs and systems: supports thyroid function, immune system, helps prevent liver and kidney disease and bladder infections. Helps dissolve kidney stones. Improves bowel function. Improves cholesterol ratio, reducing risk of heart disease, protects arteries from injury that causes atherosclerosis.
- Helps protect body against: cancers including breast and colon, osteoporosis, periodontal disease, tooth decay and free radicals (which contribute to premature ageing).
- Reduces or relieves symptoms of: pancreatitis, diabetes, gallbladder disease, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, stomach ulcers, haemorrhoids, epileptic seizures, prostate enlargement, chronic fatigue syndrome, inflammation, malabsorption syndrome, cystic fibrosis and Alzheimer's disease.
- Coconut oil is lower in calories than other fats and does not deplete the body's reserves of antioxidants as some other oils do.
- Weight loss: coconut oil is used by the body as an immediate energy source and is not stored as body fat. Promotes loss of excess weight by increasing thyroid function and metabolic rate. Helps prevent obesity.
- Skin and hair: supports the natural chemical balance of the skin, reduces symptoms of psoriasis, eczema and dermatitis, softens and moisturises the skin, reduces wrinkles, sagging skin and age spots. Nourishing for the hair and reduces dandruff.
Growing & Processing
The gallery photos above display the journey from the coconut on the tree to the finished product. Our current batch of oil is sourced from Thailand where the same process is used as in the photos of the Mexican operation where we source oil from when it is available.
The coconut is husked, de-shelled, and washed by hand. The time between breaking the seal on the shell and the oil extraction is no more than 15 minutes. Unlike many other coconut oils, the flesh of the coconut is pressed wet rather than dried, which is why our oil has such fresh and creamy qualities.
The process for extracting the oil is called wet milling extraction, which involves expeller pressing the flesh of fresh coconuts into a pulp, forming a coconut milk emulsion. The processing temperature is kept below 25 degrees to maintain the nutritive quality of the butter. The coconut milk emulsion is then chilled to approximately 15 degrees. Cooling the emulsion weakens the protein bonds assisting the oil and water to separate during centrifugation (spinning). This process allows for greater oil quality and yield - and creates the incredibly creamy texture that makes our Coconut Oil so luscious.
Serving Size 10g
|Per Serve||Per 100g|